“How you start your day is how you live your day. How you live your day is how you live your life ”
Welcome to a three-part series on The Power of a Morning Routine. Ancient Yogin's knew that early mornings were auspicious; iconic figures, Olympic athletes, top CEOs and life's go-getters also tap into the magic of mornings to live thriving lives.
I initially presented this material for a Chamber of Commerce Wellbeing webinar. There's so much goodness here that I had to share it around. I hope you find the information useful and are inspired to rock your life by starting your day in a fab way.
“I never knew a (hu)man come to greatness or eminence who lay abed late in the morning”
WHAT IS A MORNING ROUTINE?
- A morning routine is essentially a set of actions you perform in the morning, usually before starting your day's main activity like going to work or school.
- These are regular actions repeated daily.
- And the interesting thing? It should be pleasurable, creative and give you peace/inspiration.
- The best morning activities are ones that are non-urgent and include things such as exercise, contemplation, working ON not IN your business, self-growth.
- It requires motivation and results in long-term benefits.
WHY HAVE A MORNING ROUTINE?
Science-Backed Psychological & Physical Benefits of a Morning Routine
- Set a positive tone for the day
- Increase your productivity
- Feel in control
- Lower Stress
- Develop healthy habits
- Boost your energy levels
- Improve relationships
- Combat forgetfulness
- Improve self-esteem
- Taking time creates time
THE WORLD'S MOST SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE HAVE MORNING ROUTINES
“..almost none of the world’s best and brightest leave their mornings to chance.”
Spall and Xander (My Morning Routine - How Successful People Start Everyday Inspired)
Steve Jobs, Olympic athletes, CEO’s, authors, Richard Branson, Oprah, inventors, spiritual teachers and artists. Most people that have done incredible things in this world use or have used the power of a morning routine to enhance their life.
MORNING ROUTINES OF GO GETTERS
- Jane Austen would wake up and immediately play the piano, have breakfast with her family, then write.
- Barrack Obama always does a cardio and weight workout, followed by breakfast with his family.
- Arianna Huffington begins each day with yoga and meditation.
- Steve Jobs would contemplate, “If today were my last day on earth what would I do differently?”
- Jennifer Anniston wakes at 4:30 am & washes her face, drinks hot water & lemon, then meditates.
- Beethoven began every morning by counting out precisely 60 beans of coffee for his morning cuppa.
IT’S OK FOR THE RICH & FAMOUS BUT …
A morning routine is for anyone & everyone
Whether you’re a mother that craves time to herself, an athlete, artist, CEO or are retired. It’s about getting the most out of your day and living your best life.
Dream big, start small
Start by going to bed five minutes earlier and waking five minutes earlier. Use those five minutes to do one thing in the beginning – a meditation, some movement or journaling, then build up from there. Consider habit stacking.
Stick with it
Research from University College London suggests it takes 66 days to create a habit and be in the flow of automaticity.
Find your mojo
Maybe it’s Tai Chi, music, going for a run, playing with the dog. Find what gives you joy and brings you benefits.
Does it have to be morning?
Not necessarily. My friend is a night owl and gets some of her greatest inspiration then. However do be aware of our natural circadian rhythm – sleep while dark, wake while light. A University of Sydney study found that even with the same amount of sleep early risers experienced more benefits than night owls.
This three-part series will continue with more great information on The Power of Morning Routines.
For a great morning Yoga routine get your hands on a copy of 'I Am Thriving', the Yoga & Affirmations Guide